Sunday, November 19, 2006

Favorite Books

I love books - I have for as long as I can remember. A highlight of the weekend when I was little was to go to the library on Sunday afternoon, and stock up on a big pile of books. I would then spend the afternoon reading, usually finishing at least one of them before the end of the day. I am still a fast reader, especially of fiction, which is a blessing and a curse. So today, I thought I would give a random list of some of my favorite books. Feel free to agree, disagree or add your own in the comments! So, in no particular order:

childhood books:
The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
The Little House on the Prairie books (my mom read these aloud to us)
A Wrinkle in Time - Madeline L'Engle
I, Robot - Isaac Asimov (the first science fiction I read - I was in 5th grade)
The Dark is Rising series - Susan Cooper
Little Women - Louisa May Alcott


Other books:
The Day for Damnation series by David Gerrold (still waiting for book #6)
The Harry Potter books
Bellwether by Connie Willis (sheep, chaos theory and romance!)
The Doomsday Book - another Connie Willis (the best time travel book)
Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer (not fiction, I know - so?)
The Amber series by Roger Zelazny (I would love to make the first one into a movie)
Beggars in Spain - Nancy Kress
The Foundation novels - Asimov (also the Robot ones)
Pride and Prejudice - Austen
Jane Eyre - Bronte
Memoirs of a Geisha

That's all off the top of my head right now...

3 Comments:

Blogger Butterflyfish said...

Read all the childhood books, to which I add Ann of Green Gables series (I'm a red-head, so I especially loved Ann). 5th grade the book that impacted me the most -- Across Five Aprils. 7th grade began the Sherlock Holmes obsession.

And I LOVE Harry Potter

19 November, 2006 15:48  
Blogger frillgirl said...

I was going to add the Anne of Green Gables books. I loved those. I also loved the Boxcar Children books and the Trixie Belden books.

20 November, 2006 08:10  
Blogger Stare Decisis said...

I agree with all of those - I forgot about the Boxcar children - I loved those books!

20 November, 2006 08:53  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home