Monday, December 19, 2005

Authenticity

So, it's been almost a year since I started this blog, and I realize in going over past entries that I have spent a lot of time imitating the "blog voices" of others, and haven't let my true self shine through enough. So my resolution for this year is to find my own voice and let it show on this blog.

My purpose in starting the blog was to provide the kind of support for people in or thinking of going to law school that I was looking for when I was in the process of applying and starting law school. I found that support in many other blogs (look at the blogroll over there), but I felt I wanted to add my own voice to those voices.

I wanted people to know that it's possible to go back to school, even if you've been out of school for 10+ years, and even if you are already in some debt. Yes, it's possible to get even private loans if your credit isn't perfect. Will it cost you more in interest? Yes - so do whatever you can to get other types of funding. Will it mean you might have to move in with parents/roommates (if you don't have a significant other to help with your support)? Maybe, but maybe that price is worth it in the long run.

Will you have different interests than some of your classmates? Yes. Does that matter? Not at all. There are lots of interesting people in law school, as in life.

Is law school hard? Yes - otherwise everyone would be doing it. Is it impossible? NO - you can can do anything with enough determination.

So, I'll reveal a little more about myself to put this in context, while still trying for some anonymity. I don't think anyone from my school reads this anyway:

I'm at a small law school in the southwest. I had been out of college for 14 years before starting law school. I spent my time between college and law school working at mostly secretarial jobs, which were okay, but I always knew I wanted to go back to school. It took a lot of work - I studied for the LSAT on my own, and squeaked by with a good enough score to get in. I did make one mistake in applying: I should have applied to more than one school, just for the leverage in getting financial aid packages. But I got into the school I wanted to go to, so that worked out okay. Money has been tighter than I expected, but not unbearable. I worried about money before I went to school, so not much has changed.

Anyway, to all 10 or so of you who read this, thanks for sticking with me, and I hope you'll continue to stick around!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home